Five Years Later...

We started this blog when we went to the Ukraine to adopt our daughter Elizabeth in 2005. Five years later we are loving life with our daughter (now 6) and our son, Chris (23). Tom continues to farm and I have the wonderful job of a stay-at-home mother and farm-wife. God has truly blessed us with two wonderful kids, a great new home, all while being surrounded by a terrific family, friends, and church family!



Saturday, October 08, 2005

Only one more week :-)

I cannot believe that in only 7 short days we'll be on an airplane heading over to meet a little girl who will change our lives forever! It seems that I have so much to do and now I am wondering how in the world I'm going to get it all done. We're much closer to getting everything organized to pack, but there is more to the story. We have to get things at both of our workplaces caught up as much as we can, clean the house and baby proof it, make sure our son is taken care of (he is a senior, 18, and very self-sufficient, but we'll still worry...isn't that what parents are best at?), arrange for our bills to get paid while we are gone, make sure our pets and plants are taken care of while we are gone, clean out the refrigerator (hard to tell what milk would smell like after being gone for 5 weeks and I don't want to find out, lol!), and so the list goes on and on.

Today has been a stressful day...my sister, her husband, their son and daughter (Katrina, see picture below) were on their way to my mom's house for a family get-together when they were sideswiped by another vechile. My sister, Becki, was taken to the hospital, and the other three were o.k. After spending the day in the Emergency Room, she has been released to home and has some very painful days in her future. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt! It really makes a person stop and think about how quickly life can change. I thank God for the angels that were watching over their family today!

About the same time this was happening, my husband's aunt passed away from cancer. She was an awesome lady with a wonderful spirit and a happy personality. She has been one of our biggest supporters of our adoption and I really wanted her to meet Elizabeth face to face. But...I know she'll be watching over us from heaven. We love you Aunt Peg and will miss you greatly!

And so life marches on...

3 comments:

Genevieve Hinson said...

Congratulations on your expected arrival! Reading your blog makes me remember the excited anticipation my husband and I felt while waiting for our youngest son to be born.

Our adoption is domestic, independent and open. We'd like to adopt again and are considering international adoption.

Good luck!

~genevieve

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and good luck in your flight. I can only imagine how excited your family must be. Darla has told me about this for some time now.

Darla's Mom

Anonymous said...

wow... your story is very inspiring. I didn't even know you were thinking of adopting... guess i'm from Monroe but yet live so far away... u know? college keeps me busy. Anyway... i just wanted you to know that i'll be praying for you and your safe travel. and for your little girl as well. Good luck, and GOD bless! Tracy Elliott